Sunday, June 14, 2009

Bootcamp. Wuthering Heights.

That's where my novel is (at bootcamp that is, not taking a holiday on the Yorkshire moors). It's all looking very clear, everything's fallen into place etc etc. Now I just need to put the hours in and it will all be done. Feeling very good about it. Not much time for blogging.

Last night I watched the first half hour of the new Wuthering Heights mini-series. I reckon finally (finally!) someone has got it right. Heathcliff was menacing and scary and didn't look as though he was wearing a wig and a spray on tan a la Ralph Fiennes. Perhaps for once it will be true to the book ie all the characters will be loathsome. I have recorded the rest to watch as a treat for doing my work.

Wuthering Heights has been a very important work for me lately as you may have read on this blog. Last year I attended a series of lectures at Canterbury and even wrote an essay on it in an attempt to get into the head of the main character in Magpie Hall. The book itself plays an important role in my new novel - you'll just have to wait and see how.

11 comments:

Vanda Symon said...

Tease!

Rachel Fenton said...

I knew the magpie had some symbolic significance...bet there's pathetic fallacy, allegory and all manner of brain gym devices too! Makes me think it could be a Wide Sargasso Sea of the Moors, where, incidentally, I spent a huge part of my childhood, so looking forward to reading it!

Maggie May said...

i haven't read WH since high school

Unknown said...

I tried to watch the WH version on TV 1 Sunday night, but just couldn't get into it at all.

Mind you, I'd been to the library on
Friday and staring at me from the returns shelf was Vanda Symon's Overkill, so because I had seen her name on this blog from time to time, and again above, I got it out. Thus, I started this on Sunday night, and just about finished it in bed this morning - hence I'll be a bit late to my desk for work. What a great read Vanda :) Look forward to finishing it tonight.

So, I've got two books to buy, Magpie Hall coming up in November, and I note Vanda has a second Sam Shepard novel out.

Rachael King said...

Two books to buy, Mark? Don't go overboard! ;-)

Check out Vanda's blog, why don't you.

Andrea said...

I thought this current adaption of Wuthering heights was great! I also studied it several years ago and it's a favourite of mine. I'm looking forward to reading your new novel - it sounds really interesting.

Anonymous said...

Well done, you're a writing machine!

Vanda Symon said...

Oooh, Mark, buy a copy of The Ringmaster, then I'll be able to afford a coffee this week (-;

Andrea Eames said...

Have officially announced on blog! :) Hope it doesn't all turn to custard now .. ha.

A xx

Rachael King said...

Great news Andrea!

Sustenance Scout said...

You've got a new fan, Rachael! Looking forward to reading both your books! K.