Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A blog I like.


I don't know why I didn't add this one to my blogroll - just forgot I suppose. But Lauren Groff's blog on her website is completely delightful. The author of The Monsters of Templeton - which I bought after reading its lovingly crafted opening chapter in the shop, and which was short-listed for the Orange Prize for New Writing - is in the late stages of pregnancy, so her blog is about books, writing and doing up her nursery or looking longingly at people drinking champagne at awards ceremonies. She really is a smart cookie and makes some interesting observations about books she's writing, reading and that are being talked about, as well as issues such as literacy and freedom of expression. She has also posted some quite refreshingly honest responses to some of the reviews her book has had (some of us try to pretend we don't read ours).

She doesn't have a 'comments' section, otherwise I would tell her I like her blog and how much I relate to so many of her posts.

Because I didn't have her on my blogroll, I only remember to look every few weeks, so there are always a few new posts to entertain me. Now I'm adding it to my blogroll. You can find links on her site to some of her elegant short stories, too, soon to be published in book form (love the cover Lauren!).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the pointer in the Goff direction, more birds...i am obsessed

Anonymous said...

Sorry, slippery fingers
Groff
Just saw book in the local, the cover is nowhere near as nice as the one on your blog....

Rachael King said...

I pinched the cover form Amazon.com, so it's the US version. the one we get here and in Oz is the UK one. I agree, it's not as nice. I love the cover of her short stories! She has an interesting point to make about so many books written by women having decapitated women on the cover art! I think the trend was started by Phillipa Gregory, where they had headless women in clothes of the period to let you know when the historical novel is set.

Anonymous said...

I have tried to click on her previous posts, but it just keeps coming back to the F Scott Fitzgerald necklace image....

yes the decapitated woman cover art...bodice only, no brains allowed....always suspicious of artwork in general that shows the body and not the head, like a serial killer p.o.v - ! :)